The Madness Blog

The Madness Blog

The Madness Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give an account of my adventures during my stay in Shanghai, China.


Shanghai 2007 - 2008Posted by Gard-H. Madsen Wed, May 28, 2008 04:30:43

The Fuzz

Woke at 7.30 a.m. Morning routine.

Astrid and I went down to Starbucks to meet Ouafa and to write out the opposition for NSEC. We had all made comments, so we went through them and collected everything in one document. Astrid had a previous engagement and left us around 10.30 a.m. Ouafa and I finished the document and started looking over the presentation I made yesterday. We made some adjustments and finished it.

At 1 p.m. Astrid had returned and she and I went to get some food. Picked up some take-away from Kowloon Ice-house and returned to the apartment.

I sat at my desk, eating in front of the computer. Had a short break before diving into the opposition that we had received on our thesis from the Swedes. They had been extremely thorough and came with several good suggestions.

As I sat at my desk I watched the sky grow darker and heard the rumbling sound of thunder. Around 6 p.m. the sky had really opened up and was throwing everything it had at the city. Heavy thunderstorms with impressive lightning and heavy rain. It was a little eerie actually. I was most concerned about what would happen if the power went out. Even had a candle lit on my desk just in case.

So when the doorbell rang around 7 p.m. I ran to the door expecting it to be someone who came to check that everything was alright here and that I still had electricity. I was distressed to see that it was three uniformed police and they did not look happy. They demanded to see my passport and started examining it thoroughly. They made a big fuss when they saw that I had been in and out of the country a few times without registering at the local police station. I told them that I did not realize that I had to do that and that I would be leaving the country for good in less than three weeks. They did not care and asked to see the pink slip that I received when I first registered back in august. On this, they discovered that I had not updated my registration after I got a new visa. Apparently I was supposed to know that I needed to do that too. They completely forgot about the failing to register on in and out trips and instead told me that I had to get down to the police station as soon as possible to update my visa number. I got the distinct impression that they were just looking for something to get me on. Of course, I said I would take care of it and so they left. I was left puzzled and holding a big envelope with the print: Welcome to Shanghai! And contained maps and various information about how to register as an alien.

At 8 p.m. I went out the door to get some food. Downstairs in the entrance to the building, I was met by no less than six police officers asking me my business. I explained to them that I had already talked to their colleagues and was only going out to get some dinner. Surprisingly, this was satisfactory for them and they let me go. Can’t help to wonder about the thinking behind these check-ups. They seem random and misplaced.

Outside it was still raining, but because of the heat, I was dry almost as soon as I set foot inside the mall. Ordered some food from Ajisens’ new menu and did a little grocery shopping while I waited. I was pleased to see that the police had left the building before I returned.

Watched Detonator II with dinner. Another really bad movie, but it took my mind off things and made me very drowsy.

In bed at 11 p.m. Did not have to wait long before drifting off to slumber land.

  • Comments(0)//