The Madness Blog

The Madness Blog

The Madness Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give an account of my adventures during my stay in Shanghai, China.


Shanghai 2007 - 2008Posted by Gard-H. Madsen Sat, June 21, 2008 19:11:47

Norwegian food

Even though I had finished all my work and had no plans for today, I woke at 9 a.m. as usual. I fear that my morning routine has ruined my ability to sleep for however long I like. Regardless of my feelings, I was wide awake and got up.

I had breakfast and started packing. I quickly filled a box of various items such as souvenirs, papers, books and bags. I had worried that I didn’t have enough things to fill the box with (if it wasn’t full, all the stuff would be thrown around and ruined inside the box), but it turned out that my problem was quite the opposite. The box was filled and I became more worried that my luggage would be too heavy.

While I was packing, the door to Siljes room was opened and she emerged ready, packed and cleared for takeoff. No time was wasted in leaving Shanghai.

Around 1 p.m. I took my big box and went up to the post office to ship it off. I realized when I sent my other box, that the post office people will go through everything in great detail, so I had tried to pack for that. Unfortunately, I had a shoebox filled with lots of small things that I didn’t want floating around. The guy at the post office spent fifteen minutes going through it; taking out every little thing and studying it hard. At the end, the only item I was not allowed to keep in the box, for whatever reason, was my webcam. I sent of 18,4 kg and paid approx 950 rmb: not too bad.

Continued packing my flight luggage when I returned from the post office. Sat around my room for a while, enjoying not doing anything.

A little before 6 p.m. Astrid and I left for the last dinner with the Norwegian Business Association. On our way downtown, I had to explain to my taxi driver how to make a left turn. The idiot didn’t know what to do when we approached the pedestrian zone of Nanjing rd. Anyway, at 6.30 p.m. we sat and listened to a presentation by the consul general and the head of Innovation Norway in Shanghai about their business. Present was also the general manager of Laerdal Suzhou. We had brought with us a signed copy of the thesis and presented it to him. After an interesting speech we were treated to the traditional NBA dinner; salmon and other sea-foods, potatoes, duck, fruit and chocolate mousse.

Didn’t stay at the event for too long. At 9 p.m. I walked through the pedestrian part of Nanjing rd and down to Barbarossa in People’s Square park to meet Ingvild and Jonas. Had a quick drink with them and wished them good-luck for the next year, in shanghai without me.

I took a taxi back to the apartment a little before midnight and went straight to bed.

  • Comments(1)//