The Madness Blog

The Madness Blog

The Madness Blog

The purpose of this blog is to give an account of my adventures during my stay in Shanghai, China.


Shanghai 2007 - 2008Posted by Gard-H. Madsen Fri, June 20, 2008 15:37:39

Presentation and Graduation

Woke at 6.30 a.m. Didn’t feel too good. I didn’t really feel nervous, but my narrow oesophagus was giving me a hard time swallowing and insisted on keeping a tank of air in my throat. I didn’t manage to finish my breakfast.

At 7.45 a.m., Silje and I met Bettina, Gigi and Alex in the road. We split in two taxis and headed towards campus. Traffic was not too bad despite the poor weather and we got to Starr Building a little past 8 a.m.

At 8.30 a.m. everyone had arrived and our supervisor greeted us with a short welcome speech. And so it began. We followed the Heavy Water group as number two. Everything went smoothly. I didn’t say too much silly and neither did any of the other girls. We all knew the material and held a reasonably good presentation I must say. We braced ourselves for the post-presentation questions, but the most difficult we got was one on the background of motivational theories. Nothing we couldn’t handle. Four groups finished their presentations before lunch. Lunch was held in the restaurant of the campus hotel at noon. It was not impressive. Hardly anything edible at all.

The presentations continued after lunch. The questions did not get any harder, although a couple of groups were put a little on the spot. Generally, we all managed OK, and I think that was all everyone had hoped for.

At 4 p.m. everyone had given their presentation and went out in the hall to put on our robes and square hats for the diploma ceremony. Not quite as formal and proper as it was in Reading, but an experience none the less. Some professor from Fudan came over to present us with our diplomas. It was all over in 20 minutes. We then proceeded to walk across campus in our robes, to the old Nordic centre for the official graduation picture. Pictures were also taken in front of the statue of Mao by the main gates. Pictures were taken and hats were thrown. It was a joyous occasion for sure.

Around 5.30 p.m. we finally left campus for the last time and headed back to Linping for a short rest before having to get ready to go out for graduation dinner. I sat quietly in my room for a while, got ready and headed out to catch the chartered bus.

The bus took us downtown and into an interesting part of the city that I wouldn’t have normally visited without making sure I was armed. The building we stopped outside looked like it belonged in this neighbourhood, but when we walked through the doors we were pleasantly surprised. The Creek restaurant and gallery turned out to be a very cozy and spacious locale. An excellent three course dinner, paid for by the Norwegian School of Management, was served. Speeches were held by class representatives, thesis supervisor, the director of studies and anyone else who felt like saying a few words. I considered saying something, but decided against it. Spirits were high all night. Three years of education had come to an end.

From the restaurant, taxi’s to us to the Bund and to Lounge 18. We had a few quiet drinks here before going upstairs to Bar Rouge. A great place to end our stay in Shanghai; with spectacular views over Pudong and the city. I think we all agreed that we had had a great year in Shanghai and that it had in fact gone by very quickly – as we had predicted back in August. Silje had been out with her Shanghai girlfriends, but joined us at Bar Rouge around 2 a.m.

At 3 a.m. I was exhausted and left. It had been a long and tiring day, but it felt good to know that presentations and thesis work now was behind me. I fell asleep as soon as my head hit my pillow.

  • Comments(0)

Fill in only if you are not real

The following XHTML tags are allowed: <b>, <br/>, <em>, <i>, <strong>, <u>. CSS styles and Javascript are not permitted.